Our Approach: How we do it differently than others
At Compassionate Family Medicine, we use a Team-based approach which involves the physician, PA, NP, nurses, medical assistants, other healthcare professionals and other members of the care team to provide the most comprehensive healthcare services to our patients.
We have implemented Patient Navigators whose primary job is to assist the Clinical Team to tackle the barriers which the patient may encounter and which may prevent the patient from being able to comply with the recommended treatment. They assist the team in promoting quality and safety and to provide care which best fits the individual, the family, and our community.
Services provided at CFM include but are not limited to the following:
1.NEWBORN & PEDIATRIC CARE:
- The full spectrum of services provided from infancy to 18 years old.
- The team consists of Pediatricians and other Physicians/Providers Board Certified to see children.
2. PHYSICAL EXAMS:
- School Physicals
- College Physicals
- Employment Physicals including for Daycare
- Sports Physicals
- Well Child Exams
- Adult Wellness Exams
- Complete Annual Exams
- Pre-operative Exams which includes all tests needed.
- DOT exams
3. VACCINATIONS FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS:
- Zostavax – we create the orders for these
4. IMMIGRATION EXAMS:
- Dr. Triana is certified by the state of New York to complete these exams.
5. SCREENING TESTS AND EXAMS:
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin tests (PPD and Quantiferon – TB GOLD)
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Colon cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol
- Iron deficiency
- Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D deficiencies
- Low testosterone levels
- Hormone testing
- Thyroid disease
- Mental health screenings
- Vision tests
- Hearing tests - Audiometry
- Blood tests
- Lupus and other collagen vascular diseases
- STD testing including HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes, and others
6. REFER PATIENTS TO SPECIALISTS NEEDED:
- Surgeons, Including Bariatric Surgeons
- Vascular surgeons
- Therapeutic Modalities such as PT, OT, Speech Therapy.
- Radiologists for x-rays, mammograms, CT scans, MRI and others
7. SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER (SUD):
- Dr. Triana and Dr. Howard are certified to prescribe Suboxone and other medication regimens to help patients with SAD improve their lives.
8. CHRONIC PAIN MANAGEMENT:
- Please Note: We must now refrain from prescribing Opiates or other habit-forming controlled substances which, in the long run, will be more detrimental to human well-being.
9. WOMEN’s HEALTH:
- Breast exams
- Pap Smears
- STD screenings
- Pregnancy Test and referral to Obstetrician if needed
- Hormone testing
10. ACUTE CONDITIONS SUCH AS:
- Difficulty breathing due to asthma and COPD exacerbation
- Exacerbation of chronic pain – we treat with pain shots
- Rashes – we may treat with shots to expedite the resolution
- Work-related illness and minor injuries
- Throat infections
- Back pain
- Muscular pain/Arthritis pain
- Minor burns
- Sprains, strains, and bruises
- Minor lacerations – depending on the office. Please call first.
- Sexually Transmitted disease /exposure
11. TREATMENT OF CHRONIC CONDITIONS:
- Diabetes; Insulin and non-insulin dependent
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease; Arrhythmias, coronary insufficiency, CHF
- Lung diseases; Asthma, COPD, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Asbestosis
- Arthritis, Lupus and other collagen vascular diseases
12. HOSPITAL CARE:
- Our physicians no longer admit and follow patients who need to be hospitalized but they work closely with the Hospitalists to make sure that all care is well coordinated.
- CFM’s electronic health record allows excellent and quick communication with the hospitals in the area and many times, their notes are visible to us before you even leave the hospital.
13. ASSISTANCE BY PATIENT NAVIGATORS:
- May help you understand the treatment provided by our physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
- May help facilitate/coordinate your transportation (Medicaid Cab) to our offices and to your referrals.
- May help you obtain your medications which you have had difficulty getting.
- May help identify other barriers which are preventing you from receiving the medical care that you need and deserve.
- May help coordinate home care for you.
- Will serve as a bridge between you and our clinical teams.